Friday 7 October 2016

Message From the Head of Junior School: November 4, 2016




A Message From JS Head For A Day - Kate Taylor
 
Dear Junior School Parents,
 
Maybe you thought being a Head of a school is tedious because it's all about signing papers and attending meetings, but not at all. It's amazing! At the start of the day, I began by welcoming my fellow schoolmates from JK all the way up to Grade 6. It was a surprise for many students who didn't know I was going to Head of Junior School and many offered to be my assistant. Then I had a meeting with Mrs. Dexter and discussed my schedule for the day. I received a copy of the master key, and impressively, I did not lose it! Mrs. Dexter aslo shared with me that one of my important jobs for the day was to come up with a "Big Idea." The "Big Idea" was to be a surprise for all of the Junior School girls. It needed to be appealing to all of the students, including me, but also realistic. So, I went in some classroom visits in grades 1, 2, and 3 and they gave me some great suggestions. I was over-whelmed with ideas, but still hadn't found the perfect one.
 
After reading stories to the JK and SK classes, I had recess duty. I must admit that although I had planned to carefully supervise, I ended up just talking to my friends. Good thing Ms. Hickey and Ms. Bartlett were there to back me up. After recess, I had a meeting about portfolios with the Senior Leadershjp Team. It was nerve-racking as I didn't want to embarrass myself in front of our Principal, Ms. Davy, but everything went well and I shared my thinking about digital portfolios. Then, as soon as I saw the pizza-man come through the door, I knew it was lunchtime. It was during this lunch with Mrs. Dexter, Ms. Whiteley (Head of Food Services) and one of my friends, that I finalized my "Big Idea." I am excited to share that we will be decorating cookies during Haverpals in December!
 
After lunch I went on a tour of the "off-limits" section of the Upper School with Mrs. Massie, visited South House with Ms. Mirabelli, and then conducted some classroom visits with Dr. Simmonds. My busy day concluded with some snacks and down time in Mrs. Dexter's office and the chance to reflect on this day to remember.
 
JS Head For A Day - Kate Taylor, Grade 6C


REMEMBRANCE DAY IN THE JUNIOR SCHOOL
The Junior School will recognize Remembrance Day on Monday, November 7 at 9:30 am. As always, we encourage all family members to join us at this special service. Please note that the Junior School Grandpals' Day will take place on Friday, May 12 at 10:30 am this year.

We ask that your daughter come to school in her #1 uniform. The Royal Canadian Legion, Fairbanks Branch #75 has provided us with poppies and poppy stickers for every girl in the Junior School to wear at the service. Please help us to help them by sending in a donation of a loonie or toonie to show our appreciation. The Poppy Campaign is one of the Legion's most important programs. The money raised from donations provides direct assistance for Veterans in financial distress, as well as funding for medical appliances and research, home services, care facilities and numerous other valuable and needed services.


NEW AND RETURNING FACULTY MEMBERS
Ms. Linda Moore
There's a new face in the Junior School! It is my pleasure to announce that Ms. Linda Moore has accepted the Grade 6 Math and Science teaching position, effective immediately. Ms. Moore will be providing maternity leave coverage for Ms. Britney Coleman for the remainder of this school year. Grade 6 parents are invited to meet Ms. Moore on Monday, November 7 at 3:30-4:00 pm, and/or Tuesday, November 8 at 7:45-8:15 am, and 3:30-4:00 pm in room 213.
Ms. Cheryl MacKinnon
I am pleased to announce that on Monday, November 7, Ms. Cheryl MacKinnon returns to Havergal College after the completion of her maternity leave. She joins her colleague, Ms. Ashley Fawcett to work together in our Junior School Learning Support Department.


ATHLETICS
Online sign up: October 31 - November 28, 2016
Tryouts: November 28 -  December 9, 2016
Season: November 16, 2016 - February 25, 2017


COOKIE DOUGH & BLOOM SALE - READY FOR PICK UP
Your cookie dough is here! I'd like to thank you for your support of the Celebration Saturday QSP fundraiser to raise funds and awareness of community partners. Please pick up your cookie dough and/or blooms today from the Junior School.


HCPA FUNDRAISER - HOLIDAY WREATHS
Beautify your home for the holiday season with a freshly made wreath brought to you by the HCPA, in partnership with Circle Home and Design. Through this exciting fundraiser, we are offering four beautiful wreaths that you may order through the school to enhance your living space over the holiday season:
- Traditional Evergreen, 24 inches
- Red Bay Berry, 24 inches
- Clementine Bay, 24 inches
- Crimson Magnolia, 28 inches
Please note that the evergreen is suitable for outdoor display or temporary indoor display, while the bay and magnolia wreaths are suitable for indoor or protected outdoor display, (eg., a small roof to protect them from direct wind and rain).

The wreaths will be available for viewing in early November in the Junior and Upper Schools and will be ready for pick up at the JS office on December 1 from 3:00-5:00 pm. Order forms can be dropped off in the locked box on the counter in the JS office, or at the Security Desk in the Upper School by no later than November 15.

Order forms are available on the Parent Portals (http://community.havergal.on.ca/)


CALL FOR VOLUNTEERS: JUNIOR SCHOOL FATHER-DAUGHTER EVENT
Are you interested in being part of something new and exciting? The HCPA is seeking volunteers for the Inaugural Junior School Father-Daughter Event. Volunteers are needed to form the committee to plan and oversee the execution of this new event with the Chair, Mr. Kevin Daly, father of Kaitlyn in 4M, and Kyra in 1H. The inaugural event will be held in the spring of 2017. This is your opportunity to shape the future of a new and welcomed event for dads and their daughters in the Junior School. An initial planning meeting will be held mid-November following the mid-term break. Anyone interested in assisting should contact Kevin Daley at kwdaley@rogers.com.


GREEN AND GOLD SHOP VOLUNTEERS NEEDED
The JS Green and Gold Shop is looking for volunteers for Tuesday or Thursday afternoons between 3:00-4:00 pm. Duties include: serving customers, receiving inventory, tidying and re-stocking shelves, filling orders, and sorting used uniforms. Please contact Shelly Reale at reale.shelly@gmail.com if you are interested.


DATES YOU NEED TO KNOW:
Monday, November 7: JS Remembrance Day Service @ 9:30 am - girls in #1 uniform
Monday, November 7: JS Pizza Lunch @ 11:50 am
Tuesday, November 8: School closes @ 3:30 pm, mid-term break begins, Gator Care available until 6:00 pm
Wednesday, November 9 - Monday, November 14 - Mid-Term Break, NO SCHOOL
Tuesday, November 15: Back to school!